The IDW offers its members:
- effective representation of the profession's interests in politics, government and other institutions, both nationally and internationally,
- development of technical standards for exercising the profession to assure uniform high Quality,
- technical support for the daily work of members through an enquiry service,
- a demanding programme of education and continuing professional development aligned to the prevailing requirements,
- courses to prepare candidates for the Professional Examination,
- an efficient Information Centre for research into literature and other services.